Queenites Share Their Thoughts on the Academic Calendar Running Smoothly


As the academic session 2023/2024 progresses, students at the University of Ibadan reflect on the impact of a calendar running without disruptions. Opinions vary on whether this uninterrupted pace is beneficial or detrimental to their academic experience.  


Favour, a 300-level student, notes that the semester feels unusually fast and challenging. “This semester seems so fast, and most of our classes aren’t like before. My perspective might be different because I’m in the 300 level, which is the hardest. The economic downturn has made everything tiring, and I feel we need more time to study. Extending the academic calendar could help alleviate some of this stress.”


Rukayat shares a different perspective, highlighting the intensity of the semester’s pace. “The semester has been a whirlwind with lecturers racing to cover outlines and assigning a heavy workload. Everything is moving too fast, leaving us struggling to keep up.”


Salome reflects on the unique aspects of this academic session. “This semester has been different from others. While it moves quickly, it has its unique challenges. We experienced a night protest of power shortages and a subsequent peaceful protest of the hike in school fees, leading to a lecture-free day. The freezing weather and persistent rainfall have also made this session unforgettable.”


Peace feels that the semester’s speed has caught her off guard. “It’s hard to believe we are already in the 8th week. The semester feels like it started just yesterday. My academic comeback isn’t how I planned, but it’s better late than never to start reading.”


Fathia expresses concerns about the toll the fast-paced calendar takes on her well-being. “The rapid pace of the academic calendar has become a significant source of stress and anxiety. While it might help with graduating quickly, it affects me physically, mentally, and emotionally. I often sacrifice sleep and healthy eating, leading to fatigue and health issues. Mentally, I feel overwhelmed by deadlines and anxious about meeting expectations. Emotionally, the pressure is immense, affecting my motivation and relationships.”


Khodijat reflects on the emotional rollercoaster of the semester. “This semester has been challenging, especially after receiving a carryover grade in a subject I expected to ace. It was a dark moment, but the issue was later resolved. Despite the difficulties, I am focused on my future and determined to make the most of my remaining time at the university. I hope the lessons learned and the growth experienced will lead to greater opportunities.”


Comments

Popular Posts