I SEE YET DO NOT SEE

By Abraham Favour Olohigbe

I lost my eyes in an accident three years ago; now I remember colours as memories. Faces have been associated with voices, but to a blind girl like me, they don’t age, and I have learnt to cherish every little thing.


Even with my predicament I still pursue my passion as a chef, just as I did before I got blind, it’s been a challenging ride trying to continue my passion, the only thing that has kept me going. It wouldn’t have been possible without my friends and family being around me to help.

My blindness probably brought fame to my passion, but most didn’t see me during the times I was depressed and didn’t want to live life anymore. I had once desired death as intensely as I carved the air I breathed, longing to escape to a distant land filled with colours. If it hadn’t been behind would be selfish of me for Zaia, my best friend who made me see that life is worth living and leaving my loved ones.

Nine months, some days and several pleas later, I went back into the kitchen. I got burnt several times, a few cuts here and there and a lot of tears. I also got to laugh like never before as my gratitude became heightened. My disability has made me know how able I had been before I lost my eyes and how able I still am after the incident. My other senses have become heightened, and I can tell footsteps apart, the smell of my loved ones makes me feel at home no matter where we are.

Indeed, Aduka the chef lost her eyes and not her voice, yes, I lost my eyes but not my passion, I lost my eyes but not my ability to love. I did lose my eyes, but I still see through the lenses of those who love me and lend me their sights. I can do everything but see, though I still see better than before. If I am called a disabled individual doesn’t make me less human, it doesn’t make me a monster, I didn’t do anything wrong but lose my sight and that is not a crime. I, Aduka, am blind but still human.

Comments

Popular Posts