ASSESSING THE CURRENT HALL EXECUTIVES

 

By; Oyewole Nimotalai Dolapo 


With very few weeks left in the second semester of the session, one thing is certain: the end of leadership tenures for all current political position holders. Elected to serve, the duties of the executives of Queen Elizabeth II Hall are very important in shaping and fostering the welfare of members of the hall. Taking feedback, addressing complaints, communication, being in tune with certain needs, as well as facilitating games, tutorials, and events are some of the basic duties of the executives.

At random, Queenites were asked what they thought about the execution of duties by the current hall executives; the team excellence led by Ande Dooshima. These conversations shed light on opinions and perspectives of the individuals they serve. While some expressed satisfaction with the executives' efforts so far, others voiced complaints.

Onyinye, a 400-level student, said, “They’re trying, but they can do better, especially in communication. They don’t communicate well, unlike the SU, but for Queens hall, it’s a different case entirely. If there is a scarcity of water, at least let us know, even if you don’t get to the root of it, just inform us and make it look like you’re part of us. I feel like the executives are somehow alienated from Queenites because most times, Queenites want to reach out, and everything is just somehow. We don’t even know who to reach out to because they are not exactly active and sending out messages in the group. If they send out messages, that’s a way we can know what is going on, and we can reach out to this person. I think the highlight for me is their communication, but I really think they are trying; they are doing well but they can be improved on.”

Further questioning with Onyinye revealed that she thinks “the PRO takes part in it, but at the same time, it’s not the PRO that sends out messages on light issues in the SU. You’ll just see it on Hosts status, and the execs are all group admins, so what is the problem? Why can’t Dooshima or Doyin be the one to send out these messages?”

In the words of Aishat, a 200-level student, “they have all been doing well. The sports director has done some aerobic training, and I think Mojoyin has been doing very well because I’ve been seeing a lot of opportunities, all these scholarships she has been posting on WhatsApp and even on the boards. I can’t see the hall chair working at all. I can’t say this is what the hall chair has done. The food at the cafeteria is too small; that’s so bad, and the execs should do something about it. I bought food at Zik last week, and it was still okay. The health minister has a team on each block, which is good, but when I took someone to H block, they had only one pack of vitamin C left, no paracetamol, which was not supposed to be so. The V.P., Social Director, and Fin Sec, I have not seen anything.”

Sharon, a 400-level student, opines, “I don’t think they’re working. No, they are definitely not working. So, a lot happened the night before.. Three Queenites had emergency cases, and none of the execs were on the ground. The health minister was nowhere to be found. She has a committee, not functioning. That day, we carried at least three people to Jaja, and what if something had happened? They are not functioning well. The person in charge of education too, nothing is there. Even the hall chairperson, nothing is happening. I think they are really very careful, which I understand, but then the carefulness is too much.”

A 500-level Queenite who wants to maintain anonymity said, “I will commend the Gen Sec; in my years of being a Queenite, this is the best I have seen. It’s my personal opinion though. The opportunity desk is really nice, the project writing training made sense for finalists. I think Olatope is trying with her financial teaching, but it's not consistent. The communication is poor, in fact, below poor. You hardly find information about the hall, not to talk of at SU level. I don’t think I've seen anything about the reopening of the portal for school fees. The most invisible executive ever is the V.P. Let me also add that it was disappointing to see snaps from Kaka’s candlelight procession, and only one Queens hall executive was present. They can do better.”

A 400-level Queenite also expressed sentiment, saying, “I could have said the Gen sec did wonderfully well this semester until I saw her campaign flier earlier this year. Makes me wonder if the hard work was a strategy for running for the hall chair. Politicians never cease to amaze me. Lol!”

Reflecting on the actions and inactions of the executives and the feedback from Queenites, one may wonder if there is any significant development in the administrations over the years. Are the execs just replicating what their predecessors have done, or are they going over and beyond to set new standards and make significant changes such that the yardstick is even better and greater?

Comments

Popular Posts