A Mother’s Wisdom

by Abraham Favour Olohigbe 


Once, our grandmother shared a puzzling adage about wisdom with my siblings and me, which goes thus; “Abo oro la nso fun omoluabi to ba de inu e a di odindin”. Growing up as the only male child was bliss, guided by my sisters’ respect for themselves and others. As we went through university, my mother’s playful yet profound advice echoed in my ears.

“Mo omo eni ti o nse and I know as a boy that you are you would get to a stage where you’ll chase or be chased hmmmm! Lemuel makes wise decisions.”



On a Monday morning, before leaving for school, my mom jokingly pulled my ear, emphasizing the importance of wise decisions as I entered a stage of life where pursuits of affection might arise. Little did I know, her brief counsel would become a beacon in navigating the complex corridors of relationships.

On entering university, I dedicated myself to my academics, laying a foundation for a first-class degree. Despite attention from several girls, I decided to defer romantic involvement until I was financially stable. Surprisingly, in my fourth semester, I became the prey of numerous admirers, particularly Cynthia, a captivating figure who pursued me relentlessly.

Despite her charm, I remained cautious. Cynthia’s true colors began to emerge as she exhibited strange behaviors. A sudden warning from my mother, prompted by a dream, urged me to be cautious of what I accepted. Days later, Cynthia offered me a delicacy that I hesitated to consume, a decision that would prove life-altering.

Rejecting her food, I unknowingly avoided a sinister fate. Later, tragedy struck when Cynthia’s cousin, who had accepted the meal, died, and his roommate fell critically ill. Arrested and facing investigation, I recounted the incident, shedding light on the potential danger.

Cynthia, tearfully admitting her malicious intent, revealed a sinister plot to end my life. My mother’s seemingly brief advice, though profound, had woven a protective thread around me. In the face of a wicked world, a mother’s wisdom became my guiding light, saving not just pennies but an entire life and gifting me with unexpected wisdom.

Comments

Popular Posts