MELODY ON MY SIDE

By Joeseph Marvelous 

Picture gotten from Pinterest

I walked down the lonely path that leads to the space of my own which was given to me by one of my distant uncles from my mother's side. I thought of how to tour around my activities of the day with the hunger beating inside of me coupled with the lion-looking assignments and numerous tests to prepare for with my tired body. I heard the bark of a dog which reminded me of the war I'd have to face before going to my quarters. My uncle had a bulldog named "Melody". Melody is very big, healthy and tall up to half of my height. Ever since I moved into the small quarters of the house, I never wanted to have a reason for going out or doing anything outside when thedog is released from its cage or even chained to a pillar. I had great phobia for dogs, how I hated them.

  I faintly prayed that my Uncle will be around to tame the dog for me. My hopes were dashed to see the locked gate, the released bull dog, and the car park empty. Tears welled up my eyes, fatigue, frustration and faintness written all over me. I didn't know what to do. I remember telling my uncle that my classes were going to end around 7 pm so he released the dog, hoping that by then the family would have gotten to the house before me. Looking at my wristwatch, the time was just 12 p.m. I came home earlier than usual because of the canceled classes I had, I thought of coming home to eat and fight the battle of workloads mounted before me. I didn't eat breakfast that morning before going to class and I took some sweet oranges as dinner the night before. I stood at the gate of the house transfixed. No one to help, No one to stay with for the meantime.

  After standing for what seemed like ages to me, I angrily unbottled the boldness in me, picked up an average long, fat stick, unlocked the gate, and entered with the mind that "if I perish, I perish". The dog was coming close to me, barking angrily and I started to tremble. I courageously held the stick toward the dog and shouted "Go back". It ran away. Oh! What a magic! The hunger, tiredness, and frustration disappeared. I was dazed and scared at the same time.  What if the dog comes back and eats me up in anger? I frighteningly opened the door and cooked first, ruminating all over the drama that happened, laughing andcrying at the same time. I wanted to try another magic, I took some part of my food for melody and I went outside, calling out "Melody","Melody" in a fearful manner. In no time, the dog came running to me, barked faintly, and wagged its tail at the sight of food. I pushed the food towards it, Melody took the egg and was chewing steadily. Wondering why it took time for a fiercely-looking dog to eat a common soft egg. As I watched in amazement, I noticed that Melody was a toothless bulldog. All the while, I was running from a toothless bulldog. I went to where the dog squatted, having a hard time chewing the egg, stroking its head to its back, I said "I never knew you were a nice toothless bulldog". It left my side and the remaining part of the food staring untouched at me. What a fearful drama that gave me so much strength.

 

Comments

Popular Posts