I AM A BRIDGE BETWEEN QUEENITES AND THE HALL MANAGEMENT… WE WILL ENSURE THAT WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO THE PUBLIC, AND REMAIN DILIGENT AS WE EXECUTE OUR PROMISES – AN INTERVIEW WITH THE HALL CHAIRPERSON


QEIIHP: Please tell us a little about yourself.

Dooshima Ande: My name is Dooshima Ande, a penultimate law student, and the Chairperson of Queen Elizabeth II Hall. I write for a living, and I'm passionate about garnering essential experiences in life. I love shopping, making research, and learning new things. It's a privilege to be here tonight.

QEIIHP: What has been your leadership journey up to this point?

Dooshima Ande: My leadership journey so far can be likened to a gift box. I've been hit by different shades of surprises that thrilled me and have equally challenged me. An instance is the ongoing accommodation registration process. I remember the first day of registration for freshers, we were ready to get it done. Actually, I can boldly say now that it's been a hectic, but thrilling ride so far.

QEIIHP: Have you held any positions at the University of Ibadan prior to entering office?

Dooshima Ande: Yes, I have.

QEIIHP: What were they?

Dooshima Ande: Initially, I served as a Floor Representative Member in Queen Elizabeth II Hall in my freshman year, and in my 300 levels days I doubled as the Public Relations Officer of Queen Elizabeth II Hall Literary and Debating Society, and the Director of Content and Publicity of the Students' Council of Legal Aid, UI Chapter.

QEIIHP: How did you balance your academics, your business, and the responsibilities in the various societies you were a part of?

Dooshima Ande: Mastery of priority. That's what I call it. I believe so much in priority, and it is important to note that priorities change with time. In this context, I was able to understand when more time was needed to be invested in my studies when I needed to dedicate extra time to my business, and when I needed to pay attention to the various societies I was part of. I ensured that all aspects were being fed with attention, intentionality, zeal, commitment, and love/passion from time to time. It's a matter of priority.

 

QEIIHP: Could you explain further? What do you mean by social involvement? And what activities in particular are you planning?

Dooshima Ande: Social involvement with the aid of programmes.We have intentions to conduct a series of me such as the Career Summit/talk, Financial Summit, etc.It has been concluded that with events like these, Queenites or people in general tend to interact with one another, and that's part of our goals, to aid an excellent administration filled with social interactions.


QEIIHP: Will all of these events fall into the second semester?

Dooshima Ande: Yes, they will.

 QEIIHP: What challenges have you faced as the hall chairperson and how did you overcome this challenge?

Dooshima Ande: I've faced many. But three have stood out so far, understanding the administrative structure of Queen Elizabeth II Hall, becoming a bridge between Queen Elizabeth II Hall Management, my executive members, and Queenites, and balancing the scale. I overcame all of this by understanding the administrative structure of Queen Elizabeth II Hall. Prior to my resumption as the Hall Chairperson, I always had knowledge of what an administration entails. However, since administrations differ from one another, I have had to sit down and study. I now approach the administration of Queen Elizabeth II Hall with a willingness to learn. Hence, I have solved this challenge by being open-minded, and humble enough to learn more and more every day.

In becoming the bridge between Queen Elizabeth II Hall Management, my executive members, and Queenites; I have had to become a bridge, a mouthpiece of the management. At first, it felt as though I was encroaching on the duties of the P.R.O., but then I was made to understand that beyond being the Head of the Executive team, I am indeed a bridge to the executive and Queenites.

In balancing the scale, reality hit me as I began to juggle studies once again, with administrative duties as the Chairperson, and my business. However, I started learning and most importantly, applying a new skill called "Team Spirit". I've ensured that every exco is involved in the administrative runs of the Hall. This has helped a lot, and there is an obvious view of peace, unity, and love among us.

QEIIHP: Change is ever present, even more so when there is a change in leadership. What would your administration do differently from that of the previous hall chairperson?

Dooshima Ande: I would say we intend to invite EXCELLENCE into the picture. The previous Hall Chairperson has achieved many commendable successes such as the renovation of the Senior Common Room, and the revitalization of political affairs in the hall, among others. However, we noticed that there was a bit of neglect for their manifestoes. Hence, we intend, and we did speak amongst ourselves (the executive body) about ensuring that everything we promised Queenites in our manifestoes is accomplished.

And if perhaps, peradventure, anything goes wrong along the line that prevents us from accomplishing these, we would definitely show our cards to all Queenites. We will remain accountable to them. Excellence entails many things, but two things stand out. Accountability and diligence. We will ensure that we are accountable to the public, and remain diligent as we execute our promises.

QEIIHP: Your administration has created spaces for the creatives in Queen Elizabeth II Hall. Those creatives include hairdressers, make-up artists, writers, models, fashion designers, craftsmen, and content creators. And yet most of these creatives, especially those who have built businesses on this, have faced restrictions from the Hall in the past, especially as business owners. What plans do you have for creatives?

Dooshima Ande: We have quite a number of plans, and we have discussed these ideas with the Management. The plans for creatives were inspired by the Social Minister. She said that she included it in her manifesto, and she is intentional about achieving it. Hence, the platforms. We intend to teach Queenites soft skills that span from hairdressing to make-up, to fashion designing and lots more. Most importantly, we intend to ensure that business owners are promoted in the hall, on those platforms. Subsequently, they will be given the chance to advertise their products and develop their existing skills.It's an ongoing project.

QEIIHP: We've come to the end of the interview, Miss. Ande. Is there anything you'd like to say to Queenites?

Dooshima Ande: Yes.

QEIIHP: What would you like to say?

Dooshima Ande: I would like to implore Queenites to trust us. You have chosen us for this task, then have little faith in us to do our bit. We say thank you for the opportunity given to us, and we do not take it for granted. Lastly, we wish you a blast-filled Resumption.

QEIIHP: Thank you, Miss Ande. Good night.

Comments

Popular Posts